< Back to list
Title: Associate Professor of Musicology
Office: 5233 Emery Hall
A former faculty member at of University of Nevada, Jeongwon Joe, Associate Professor, is a musicologist specializing in twentieth-century music. Her research interests include the intersections of opera and cinema, film music, and cultural studies. Dr. Joe is co-editor of Between Opera and Cinema (Routledge, 2002) and her essays and reviews have been published in Cambridge Opera Journal, The Journal of Musicological Research, Notes, Opera Quarterly, The British Journal for Eighteenth-Century Studies, and such collections as Music of the Sirens (Indiana University Press, 2006) and Changing Tunes: The Use of Pre-existing Music in Film (Ashgate, 2006).
Dr. Joe is currently writing a monograph, Opera as Soundtrack, and co-editing a collection, Wagner and Cinema, with Sander Gilman, Distinguished Professor of the Liberal Arts and Sciences at Emory University. Her future topics for research include “Music and Silence: Before and Beyond John Cage” and “Western Opera's Diaspora in Korea.” She has presented papers at numerous conferences including the national meeting of the American Musicological Society, the Society of Cinema and Media Studies, the International Musicological Society, the Modern Language Association, and the International Wagner Symposium. Dr. Joe has taught previously at the University of Nevada, Reno; Northwestern University; and Michigan State University.
- BA, Ewha Women's University, Seoul, South Korea.
- MA, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- PhD, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- Jeongwon Joe, Film Scholars Research Grant (MPAK).
- Jeongwon Joe, Faculty Research Council Grant (Project: Wagner and Cinema), University of Cincinnati. 2006 to 2007.
- Jeongwon Joe, Faculty Pool Projects Grant, Friends of CCM. 2006 to 2007.
- Jeongwon Joe, Faculty Development Council Grant (Project: "Enhancing Pedagogical Skills for Interdisciplinary Courses"), University of Cincinnati. 2005 to 2006.
- Jeongwon Joe, Faculty Research Council Grant (Project: Opera as Soundtrack), University of Cincinnati. 2004 to 2005.
- Jeongwon Joe (2006). Farinell, Il Castrato: Two Voices, Two Bodies. The Journal of British Society For Eighteenth-Century Studies, 28 (3), 517.
- Jeongwon Joe Korean Opera-film Chunhyang and the Trans-cultural Politics of the Voice. Muzikologija: Journal of the Institute of Musicology of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (5), 181.
- Jeongwon Joe (In Progress). Opera as Soundtrack. Ashgate.
- Sander Gilman and Jeongwon Joe, editors (2010). Wagner and Cinema. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
- Jeongwon Joe eaching Film Music: Interdisciplinary Approaches. In Lucy Fischer and Patrice Petro (Eds.), Teaching Film The Modern Language Association of America.
- Jeongwon Joe (2006). Reconsidering Amadeus: Mozart as Film Music. In Phil Powie and Robynn Stilwell (Eds.), Changing Tunes: The Use of Pre-existing Music in Film (pp.57). Brookfield, VT: Ashgate.
- Jeongwon Joe (2006). The Cocktail Siren in David Lynch's Blue Velvet. In Linda Austern and Inna Naroditskaya (Eds.), Music of the Sirens (pp.353). Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
- Jeongwon Joe (2007). Review of Solveig Olsen’s Hans Jürgen Syberberg and His Film of Wagner’s Parsifal (New York: Univ. Press of America). Opera Quarterly (22, no. 2). (pp.369)..
- Jeongwon Joe (2007). Review of Simon Williams’ Wagner and the Romantic Hero (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004). Nineteenth-Century Music Review (4, no. 2). (pp.164)..
Presentations & Lectures
- Jeongwon Joe (12-2007). Wagner on Screen: Bill Viola’s Tristan. Convention of the Modern Language Association of America, Chicago, IL.
- Jeongwon Joe (07-2007). A Passage to Korea: Western Opera’s Diaspora During the Japanese Occupation of Korea. 18th Congress of the International Musicological Society.
- Jeongwon Joe (12-2006). Musica Mundana: Beyond Boethius. Convention of the Modern Language Association.
- Jeongwon Joe (09-2006). Sight and Sound of the Operatic Voice. University of Iowa’s Opera Studies Program and Sound Research Seminar, Iowa City, IA.
- Jeongwon Joe (07-2006). The Glory (????) of the Human Voice: Florence Foster Jenkins. Diva Symposium, Leeds, England.
- Jeongwon Joe (04-2006). Operatic Voice on Screen. International Conference on “Song, Stage, and Screen: Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Musical Stage”, Portsmouth, England.
- Jeongwon Joe (04-2006). Opera as the Lost Speech in Wong Kar-Wai’s 2046. Seminar Series of the University of Sussex’s Center for Research on Opera and Music Theatre, Brighton, England.
- Jeongwon Joe (03-3006). Film Divas: Gendered Dichotomy Between Vocal and Instrumental Music. “The Intersections of Opera and Cinema” Symposium, Houston, TX.
- Jeongwon Joe (10-2005). Gerárd Corbiau’s Farinelli: A Virile Castrato?. Musicology Colloquium, Evanston, IL.
- (08-2008). Film Music: How It Has Been and Will Be. 4th Jacheon International Music and Film Festival, Seoul, South Korea.
- (04-2008). Studying Performance (panelist). Music Theory and Musicology Students Society Conference, Cincinnati, OH.