The University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music’s production of Jesus Christ Superstar opens at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 22 in Patricia Corbett Theater. Directed and choreographed by Diane Lala with musical direction by Roger Grodsky, the 1970s rock opera features an iconic score with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice.
A timeless work that has captured audiences for over 40 years, Jesus Christ Superstar’s rock score contains such well-known numbers as “Superstar,” “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” and “Gethsemane.” The musical is based on the last week of Jesus’ life. Set against the backdrop of an extraordinary and universally known series of events, the story is told through the eyes of Jesus’ betrayer, Judas.
“While this story took place in biblical times, its depiction of people uniting behind a movement could easily apply to the social and political movements of today,” Lala says.
Lala has “integrated the old and the new” in CCM’s production of Jesus Christ Superstar — costumes inspired by biblical times and by the malls of today, scenic elements and props representing different periods such as characters using stone goblets as well as iPhones.
“This is a story for all times,” Lala says. “It asks the question: Would you die for a people and an ideology that you believed in with your whole heart?”
CCM’s musical theatre stars of tomorrow present Jesus Christ Superstar on Feb. 22-25 and Feb. 28-March 4, 2018 in Patricia Corbett Theater. Complete event information is below.
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics by Tim Rice
- Diana Lala, director and choreographer
- Roger Grodsky, musical director
- Kevin Chlapecka, associate director and choreographer*
- Matthew D. Hamel, scenic designer*
- Erik McCandless, lighting designer*
- Matt. D Birchmeier, sound designer*
- k. Jenny Jones, fight choreographer
- Ashley Berg, costume designer*
- Meredith Keister, hair and make-up designer*
- Kyle Birdsall, stage manager*
- Levi Kiess and Mara Tunnicliff, prop masters*
- Jesus – Bryce Baxter^, Stavros Koumbaros*
- Judas – Jordan Miller^, Alex Stone*
- Mary Magdalene – Keaton Whittaker^, Ciara Alyse Harris*
- Simon Zealotes – Ej Dohring
- Peter – Christopher Kelley
- James – Daniel Marhelko
- John – Donelvan Thigpen
- Thaddeus – Ben Pimental
- Thomas – Matt Copley
- Andrew – Emily Ashton Meredith
- Phillip – Areo Keller
- Bartholomew/Priest 3 – Marissa Hecker
- Matthew – Emily Royer
- James, the lesser – Madelaine Vandenberg
- Caiaphas – Gabe Wrobel
- Annas – Madison Hagler
- Pontius Pilate – Phillip Johnson-Richardson
- King Herod – Derek Kastner
- Priest 1 – Hank Von Kolnitz
- Priest 2 – Nick Berninger
- Ensemble – Andrew Alstat, Anya Murphy Axel, Aria Braswell, Michael Canu, Emily Celeste Fink, Kylie Goldstein, Joshua Johnson, Elijah King, Jenny Mollet, Kyle Pollak, Bryn Purvis, Erich Schleck, Ethan Zeph
- Swings – Haley Holcomb, Quinn Surdez
^ Friday, Feb. 23; Saturday, Feb. 24 at 8 p.m.; Thursday, March 1; Saturday, March 3 at 2 p.m. and Sunday, March 4
* Thursday, Feb. 22; Saturday, Feb. 24 at 2 p.m.; Sunday, Feb. 25; Wednesday, Feb. 28; Friday, March 2 and Saturday, March 3 at 8 p.m.
- 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22
- 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23
- 2 and 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25
- 8 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28
- 8 p.m. Thursday, March 1
- 8 p.m. Friday, March 2
- 2 and 8 p.m. Saturday, March 3
- 2 p.m. Sunday, March 4
Patricia Corbett Theater, CCM Village
University of Cincinnati
Tickets to Jesus Christ Superstar are $31-35 for adults, $22-25 for non-UC students and $18-21 for UC students with a valid ID. Student rush tickets will be sold one hour before each performance to non-UC students for $12 or $25, based on availability. UC students can receive one free student rush ticket with a valid ID, based on availability.
Tickets can be purchased in person at the CCM Box Office, over the telephone at 513-556-4183 or online at ccm.uc.edu/boxoffice/mainstage/jesus-christ-superstar.
Parking and Directions
Parking is available in the CCM Garage (located at the base of Corry Boulevard off Jefferson Avenue) and additional garages throughout the UC campus. Please visit uc.edu/parking for more information on parking rates.
For detailed maps and directions, please visit uc.edu/visitors. Additional parking is available off-campus at the U Square complex on Calhoun Street and other neighboring lots.
For directions to CCM Village, visit ccm.uc.edu/about/directions.
Story by CCM graduate student Jonathan Dellinger