History of E-Media
The Electronic Media Division, a department of UC's College-Conservatory of Music, has been an innovator in media education since the late 1930's. Initially created as the radio extension of the Cincinnati College of Music, this program became the first collegiate broadcast department in the country. During the first year, the College produced 51 half-hour broadcasts on WLW and WSAI, a 15-minute program for NBC, 30 half-hour broadcasts of "Music of the Masters" and 10 half-hour "Odeon Radio Workshops" for WSAI. New broadcast studios were opened in 1941 and by 1946 the College granted the degree of bachelor of fine arts in radio broadcasting. This department continued to expand with the addition of television and became the Radio-Television Arts Department in 1950. In 1955, the Cincinnati College of Music merged with the Cincinnati Convservatory of Music and brought the Radio-Television arts department into the newly formed College-Conservatory of Music (CCM). Renamed the Electronic Media Division in the late 1980's, the current program offers a Bachelor or Fine Arts as well as a minor in E-Media that emphasizes creative multi-platform storytelling and allows students to gain production expertise in either video, audio, interactive or multimedia journalism.