Frequently Asked Questions
No. There isn’t a separate application to be considered for admissions. Students apply to CCM when selecting a CCM major (as their first choice major for undergraduates) during the completion of their undergraduate or graduate application. After the admission application is submitted, students will then complete the application process to CCM by uploading pre-screening materials via to CCM's Acceptd website. All programs require submission of pre-screening materials.
All undergraduate applicants are required to write an essay as part of their online application. Graduate students write a 500-word personal statement.
CCM honors the code of ethics established by the National Association of Schools of Music as well as the spirit of the code of ethics with respect to all of its programs. Therefore, students applying to transfer to a CCM major from any program at another university or college must have the Transfer Form signed by a representative of the school where they are currently enrolled. After you apply for admission, CCM will send you a copy of this form to complete. We must have this form before you can be considered for a CCM scholarship.
You are required to submit high school transcripts if you have earned fewer than 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours of college credit. Test scores are not required.
There are no minimum requirements for admission to CCM. Applicants are evaluated based off a holistic review of their application for admission and their pre-screen/audition performance. Additionally, the University of Cincinnati is test optional.
Your admission decision will be sent to you as soon as a final decision is made, but no later than April 1.
Yes. Please call UC Admissions at 513-556-1100 to change your intended major. Please note that certain university programs fill-up early in the application process. If you are admitted into the University of Cincinnati under a non-CCM major, you may apply to CCM the following fall as a change of college applicant.
Graduate students who are denied admissions into their desired degree program may apply again the following fall.
The University of Cincinnati Admissions office needs to see that you have completed the articulation requirements to be admitted. If you have done an internet-based program, you should order your transcripts through that program and have them sent to UC. If you were in another type of school environment, the University needs to see how you learned the material, what you were evaluated against, and a signed document from your school district allowing you to be homeschooled. For more information, please contact UC Admissions at admissions.uc.edu or 513-556-1100.
All CCM applicants are automatically considered for a talent-based scholarship. These are awarded in the early spring based on audition results and the recommendations of our faculty. Learn more about additional CCM scholarship opportunities.
All incoming undergraduate freshmen applying directly from their last year in high school are automatically considered for the Cincinnatus Scholarship, awarded by the university, to academically qualified students as long as all materials are received by December 1.
University Graduate Assistantships cover full tuition plus a 9-month stipend of $4,416 - $10,746 depending on the level of study and specific assignment. The graduate assistantship also includes payment for the semesterly instructional fee. A personal interview in Cincinnati is generally required for consideration.
Some programs require additional materials and pre-screenings for consideration. Please refer to the specific audition/interview requirements for your desired major.
- Administrative Assistants
- All Orchestral Instruments
- Arts Administration
- Choral Conducting
- Classical Guitar
- Instrumental Techniques (teaching): string, brass, woodwinds
- Jazz Studies
- Music Education (teaching)
- Music History (teaching)
- Musical Theater Accompanying
- Opera Coaching and Accompanying
- Opera Production
- Orchestral Conducting
- Studio Accompanying (vocal and instrumental)
- Theater Design and Production
- Theater Performance
- Theory (teaching)
- Wind Conducting
To be considered for a graduate assistantship, applicants must be admitted unconditionally and receive a specific recommendation for an assignment. Graduate Assistantships are awarded by the CCM Graduate Admissions and Awards Committee. All assistantship decisions will be made by April 1.
You must confirm enrollment to CCM before an I-20 can be issued. You will need to verify funding using the Financial Certification Form. Refer to CCM's instructions for international applicants for more information.
- After you’ve completed your application and submitted all required materials (including pre-screening submission), we will then provide you with an admissions decision or audition/interview request.
- After your audition is scheduled (if applicable), you will receive an email confirming your audition date. If you need to change your audition date after it has been scheduled, you will be charged a $100 change fee.
- Auditions and interviews are held in January and February.
- Auditions and interviews are held at the faculty’s request only and is not required for all students to be considered for admissions
- Most students will receive an admission decision from us by March 1 and, at the very latest, April 1. We will notify you of all scholarship awards by April 1. If admitted, undergraduates have until May 1 to confirm enrollment; graduates have until April 15 to confirm enrollment.
- Relax, take a deep breath and prepare well for your audition. Remember: this is what you love to do!