CCM Youth Wind Ensemble
In partnership with CCM’s collegiate Wind Studies and Music Education, CCM Prep presents the region’s premier ensemble and musical training program for woodwind, brass and percussion students. CYWE is led by Kevin Holzman, director of Wind Studies at the College-Conservatory of Music.
CYWE musicians perform exciting and challenging repertoire and...
- Perform a minimum of four concerts per academic year in CCM’s state-of-the-art facilities
- Play alongside CCM collegiate ensembles
- Participate in Premier Chamber Ensembles (brass, saxophone, flute and more new ensembles forming for 2022-2023)
- Participate in Concerto Competition (new for 2022-2023)
- Experience Master Classes with acclaimed musicians (new for 2022-2023)
CYWE members have access to these additional benefits:
- Firsthand experience with the college admissions process including audition and application preparation workshops
- “Pizza with Professors” with insights from distinguished CCM faculty and light dinner before evening rehearsals
- One complimentary student ticket to each CCM Wind Symphony concert
- A fun, engaging place to meet new friends and play great music!
How does CYWE work?
CCM Youth Wind Ensembles are open to 9th through 12th graders and consist of two large ensembles:
- Wind Ensemble
- Symphonic Winds
Students are placed in an ensemble based on a required audition.
The ensembles are for musicians who play flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, string bass and percussion. CYWE ensembles are skill-enhancing and enriching experiences that supplement students’ experience in their own high school bands and help them reach college and career goals.
CYWE ensembles (large and chamber) rehearse once per week on Sunday evenings and time is divided between full rehearsals and smaller group sectionals. Attendance is required at all rehearsals and concerts.
Statement of Purpose
The CCM Youth Wind Ensembles are committed to maintaining the highest standards of musical excellence. The Ensembles function to
- Provide members with exclusive EDUCATIONAL experiences that prepare them for college and career and contribute to the knowledge, technique and skills necessary for advanced artistic performance
- Provide PERFORMANCE opportunities at CCM’s state-of-the-art facilities that allow for creativity and self-expression and give audiences a means to experience innovative and exciting performances of high-quality, diverse repertoire
- Provide members with a positive, challenging and supportive LEARNING ENVIRONMENT with extensive opportunities to demonstrate musical leadership, teamwork and professionalism,
- Provide members with a source of lifelong PERSONAL GROWTH via opportunities to assess their skills and strengths, reflect on their achievements and progress, and prioritize their areas for improvement