Why study Media Production?
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Media Production (MPRO) encompasses the integrated media arts of film and digital cinema, television and broadcast media news, audio production, and new media design. Coursework takes place within the creative environs of one of the nation’s most prestigious conservatories, the College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) at the University of Cincinnati.
Curricula in Film and Television Production, Multimedia Production (including audio production) and Broadcast Media Production are grounded in the theoretical and applied foundations necessary to prepare graduates for media content creation across multiple platforms and distribution channels. The Media Production program is student centered, professionally relevant and focused on creativity and development. Students will benefit from small class sizes, an innovative, flexible curriculum that reflects industry demands, experienced faculty who provide exposure to professional media tools and methodologies, and classes that develop creativity and storytelling skills. Students majoring in Media Production complete a minor or certificate program of their choice, tapping into the unlimited potential of programs from across the university’s 14 colleges.
Internships are part of the Media Production core and take advantage of the professional resources in Cincinnati and other areas across the country. With its emphasis on experiential learning, students will acquire the hands-on skills and a digital portfolio necessary to transition successfully into the professional world. Graduates from our program are prepared for careers in
- film and television writing, producing, directing, cinematography, editing
- web site design and creation
- broadcast news writing, production, on-air talent, director, camera operator or editor
- sound design for the film, television, video gaming industries
- sound recording and audio engineering
- social media
- media management
- media programming
- software development
- video games
- media marketing and sales
Scholarships are available to qualified students.
CCM Media Production students gain the theoretical and technical skills necessary to tell stories and produce impactful content in today’s media and entertainment industry, including filmmaking and digital cinema, television production, broadcast news, sports, audio production, website design and interactive and new media. Student work has won numerous collegiate-level and professional awards, with films broadcast on national television networks and accepted in prestigious film festivals on five continents. Graduates join a network of successful, award-winning and supportive alumni who work throughout the media industry.
Described by the New York Times as "one of this country's leading conservatories," CCM offers students unparalleled opportunities to perform, learn and live in a thriving next-generation city known for its intense interest in the performing and media arts.
Nationally ranked and internationally renowned, CCM’s state-of-the-art facilities provide a highly creative and multidisciplinary artistic environment. Media Production majors are uniquely positioned within a creative culture at CCM that fosters collaborations with actors, musicians, dancers, set designers and other performing artists as they develop their digital storytelling skills for film, television, internet and mobile media distribution. Other highlights of the program include:
- An international summer student opportunity with the Munich Summer Curriculum in Germany to study at Ludwig Maximillian University and intern with a German media company
- Extensive production facilities that include a television studio, audio recording studio, 4K Avid Editing labs, Bearcast radio station, multiple audio/video/multimedia workstation labs and state-of-the-art digital cinema, lighting, grip and field audio production equipment
- On-camera performance training by experienced professionals
- Annual awards and scholarships
- Extracurricular, student-driven media organizations that groom leaders and allow for production experiences
- Connections to a wide an active network of award-winning alumni working in media positions locally and in cities throughout the US: Los Angeles, Chicago, Nashville, and New York
CCM is a college within the University of Cincinnati, a major undergraduate university and graduate research institution of more than 40,000 students. The synergy created by housing CCM within a comprehensive public university gives the college its unique character and defines its objective: to educate and inspire the whole artist and scholar for positions on the world's stage.
- Guide: Media Production - Film and Television - 2022 - 2023
- Guide: Media Production - Multimedia - 2022 - 2023
- Guide: Media Production - Broadcast Media 2022 - 2023
- Guide: Media Production - Broadcast Media 2021 - 2022
- Guide: Media Production - Multimedia 2021 - 2022
- Guide: Media Production - Film and Television 2021 -2022
CCM’s founding schools (the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music and the College of Music of Cincinnati) were both charter members of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The requirements for entrance and graduation in all music programs are in accordance with the published regulations of NASM.
University of Cincinnati, College Conservatory of Music
P.O. Box 210003
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0003
Find related programs in the following interest areas:
Program Code: 16BAC-MPRO-BFA