THE MUSICAL THEATRE PROGRAM at CCM is the oldest in the country and was the first of its kind. It was used by the National Association of Schools of Theatre in formulating the guidelines for accreditation of Musical Theatre programs nationwide. It is widely recognized for its "triple-threat" approach to training and many of its graduates are following careers as performers and creative artists in every facet of the entertainment industry.
Musical Theatre training at CCM includes:
- A two-fold approach to vocal training with private voice lessons which focus on technique and "vocal coaching" which integrates voice and acting skills in the interpretation of the musical theatre song
- A rigorous acting curriculum which includes the work of Anne Bogart, Michael Chekhov, Sanford Meisner, Robert Cohen, as well as Suzuki actor training, cabaret techniques, audition skills and acting for the camera
- Extensive dance training in ballet, jazz, tap, modern and Pilates and the opportunity to explore choreography for the musical stage
- Showcases which bookend the training experience: a Freshman Showcase presented in Cincinnati and a Senior Showcase presented for agents and casting directors in New York City
- A comprehensive production schedule with five musicals presented in three dynamically different "state of the art" theatre spaces each season